Sunday, April 27, 2014

Char

Funny how things have changed in just one short year. Last year, I celebrated my 35th with a big bang at Mad Men with a huge crowd of friends, to the tunes of my favorite band and flowing champagne. This year, my early birthday celebration was a much muted and intimate affair, and I was dead sober hah!

Hanging up our party shoes, the dinner party trooped east in our flip flops to Char, this new casual restaurant along Guillemard road. The main appeal for me were the meats - I had read how the chef at Char combines western sous vide methods with Chinese char siew making. I was curious how it would compare to our favorite authority on meats, Kay Lee.
Besides their meats offerings, the restaurant also serves a selection of vegetables and egg dishes. Since there were 13 of us, we just whacked and ordered a whole lot. The highlight was of course the char siew. See below.


Ain't it a beautiful sight, the intensely smoked, darkly caramelised, shiny and succulent thick slices of porky heaven? All senses ignited and I loved it! Unfortunately, we had to ration servings because our group had ordered the last of the char siew for the day. Note to self - preorder next time! Even my meat connoisseur husband said it was good, though I know nothing can replace Kay Lee in his heart haha.


The roast duck was excellent too, not to be overshadowed by the sexier looking char siew. Very flavorful, moist and juicy.


I'm not a sio bak person. But my friends really liked this. Cute touch with the mustard.
The other dishes, like the prawns, eggplant clay pot and sambal kang kong were quite competent and well priced. I had the sweet and sour soup - super comforting (but spicy, I like though). Also try the salted fish fried rice, it had nice wok hei.




The bill came up to around $30 per pax. Pretty good, considering more than half of the group ordered from the artisan beer menu (corkage of $25 per bottle of wine was a tad intimidating). All in all, a not particularly exciting but reliable neighbourhood joint for excellent meats in air conditioned comfort.

Happy early birthday to me! 



Every year I feel very blessed for my beloved family and friends who are always there for me. This year, I have even more to give thanks for - my lovely husband of 8 months and our darling baby who will be here in 6 months! Life is good and I thank God every day for all that he has given me. 

Char
393 Guillemard Road

No comments:

Post a Comment