Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Week 12 - The Skull Theory?

The results from last week's Oscar test came back from the lab. My baseline risk (based on my stats i.e. age) for the baby having Down's Syndrome was 1 in 220, and the "adjusted" risk (based on the ultrasound measurement of nuchal translucency) was 1 in 550, so GOOD result! The doc says that if we are still worried we can do a more detailed (and naturally more expensive) blood genetic test, but I'm more inclined to save the milk powder money. 

Anyways, the doc got a nice shot of Baby X today. 


The baby was very active as usual but it was too early to tell if it's a girl or a boy. Funnily I chanced upon some internet material on the "skull theory". Supposedly, boys have larger, blockier foreheads, while girls' heads are rounder. 

Curiosity got the better of me and I goggled some pregnancy forums and studied the "boy or girl" guesses other people had made on ultrasounds posted on the forum. If the Skull Theory is plausible, Baby X looks like a boy to me! 

But on the same forum under a "heart rate" thread, there are posters convinced that the baby is a boy if the heartbeat is lower than 140. Baby X's was 158 (the gynae measured today). So it's a girl?! Confused. 

I dug further and found there's also the LOL "Angle of the Dangle" (read this) to look out for, to help you determine the baby's gender! A bit disturbing.

Some of the other old wives' tales circulating online: 

1. Swollen breasts, a serious sweet tooth, and acne hint at a possible girl (as does craving orange juice). 
2. Increased clumsiness, a hankering for salty treats, and puffed-up pregnant legs hint at a possible boy. 
3. If you hang your wedding ring, from a string, over your belly, it will swing in a circle if you’re having a boy, or back and forth if you are having a girl. 
4. The baby’s gender will be the opposite sex of whoever was more sexually aggressive during conception (WT !!!)

My mum will just say that "healthy can already" and I agree with her completely. Happy to wait for my next gynae appointment in a month, by which time it should be fairly obvious whether it's a boy or girl. I'm honestly thrilled with either - just looking forward to getting the final ok for blue team or pink team shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment