Monday, August 15, 2011

De Classic Golden Spoon

I just had dinner at De Classic Golden Spoon last Friday and I miss the food already. The tofu with cereal and pumpkin sauce was amazing! I am at this very moment craving for it.

It was a dear friend’s birthday and the 13 of us booked a big table for the occasion. We had heard good reviews and the fact that this was a free corkage “they-provide-proper-wine-glasses place” sealed the deal.

We had the ngoh hiang to start and it was well-fried and fresh with nice chunks of water chestnuts inside. Next came the recommended crab bee hoon (2 large crabs). Although this had less “work hei” compared to the version at Sin Huat, it had a generous amount of flavourful broth which everyone just couldn’t get enough of. The drunken prawns were fresh and the soup tasted robust. The coffee spare ribs were a bit of a disappointment, they came wrapped in an aluminium foil and looked appetizing but upon biting into one, all I got was a whole mouth of fat.

Luckily, the tofu with cereal and pumpkin sauce saved the day. OMG. I know I am gushing but I couldn’t get enough of this. Tofu crispy on the outside, mmm so creamy inside. The combination of cereal and pumpkin sauce was pure genius.

Very attentive service. I clumsily dropped my chopsticks on the floor and the waiter got me a new pair without me having to ask. This could be in part due to the fact that the boss Rodney is an old friend of the birthday girl and he sat with us for drinks after dinner, but still. They even proactively asked if w needed a change of wine glasses when we switched from the whites to the reds.

When are we next going back? I already know what I want to order. The tofu for sure, the crab beehoon, the crispy chicken (was unavailable the day we went), salted egg prawn and oh the steamed fish with garlic and chai por sounds good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment