Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mambo Jambo

For the uninitiated, it's Mambo Jambo night at Zouk on Wednesdays. It's a (somewhat unorthodox) mix of 70s and 80s pop hits. Think Jason Donovan's "Too Many Broken Hearts", Rick Astley's "Together Forever" and Belinda Carlisle's "Summer Rain" immortalized in a sea of bopping youngsters with synchronized dance moves.


Before competition from new clubs such as Butter Factory and more recently, Filter, Mambo used to be THE place to be. These days it's less crowded, though far from forgotten. Mambo nights hold a special place in the hearts of me and my friends. For many of us, Zouk was the first club we went to when we were 19 (I'm a late bloomer). Plenty of memories there. Including a particularly memorable night involving half a jug of long island tea and a toliet bowl.


I really should make my yearly pilgrimage to get my annual year's worth of Mambo Jambo soon. Quite appropriate timing, considering it's been a tough two weeks and it should be a good night to just release my inhibitions and dance to my heart's content with the homies. A lil depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment