Thursday, August 25, 2016

IMHO Dr Google's Early BFPs are a Conspiracy

Ok I confess. I tested again yesterday at 6dp5dt. Needless to say, it was another BFN.

This time, in addition to googling "6dp5dt, any hope?", I took my ttc obsession to a new height. I called up my IVF clinic nurse and asked her for details of my successful IVF two years ago. Specifically, I asked her for transfer date, beta date and the HCG test result.

So I had my FET on 30th January 2014 and my bloodtest 11 days later on 10th February at 11dp5dt. The beta reading was 769. Doing the math, assuming it is true that HCG levels double everyday, this would mean my HCG levels on the following dpts would be as follows:

11dp5dt - 769
10dp5dt - 385
9dp5dt - 192
8dp5dt - 96
7dp5dt - 48
6dp5dt - 24

What this means that at 6dp5dt, there is no way that a HCG of 24 would have registered a BFP (WHEW). In fact, even at 7dp5dt, a HCG of 48 would not be picked up by Clearblue, which has a detection level of 50! In fact, I recall that during the last cycle, I had tested on the morning of 9dp5dt and gotten a stark BFN within the first ten minutes. I have a deep impression of this because I went for a long hard hour run, to vent my frustration, thinking I had failed the cycle. Imagine my shock when I returned later and saw that a second line had developed on the stick - it was a lot of worry (shucks what have I done) and exhilaration all rolled into one that day.

Which brings me to my point here. How can it be, that there are so many early BFPs on Dr Google? I don't mean just on 7dp5dt. I mean, there are so many women who register BFPs as early as 4dp5dt, 5dp5dt and 6dp5dt online! One website even has a poll result which shows that 70% of all women who are pregnant get positive pregnancy test results by 6dp5dt! 

In my humble opinion, there might be some pregnancy test makers trolling the internet posting these early pregnancy test BFPs. And clearly tormenting women like me who do not have super implanter embryos but are encouraged to start testing early because "everyone else is doing it". And of course, blowing large sums of money on buying home pregnancy test kits. It's a conspiracy maybe? Haha.

Anyway, I plan to test again tomorrow at 8dp5dt using the clearblue digital with conception indicator. The detection levels are as follows :

1-2 weeks = 25miu to 200miu
2-3 weeks = 201miu to 2000miu
3+ weeks = >2000miu


If it's yet another BFN, I'll have no more mathematical excuses.

On a happier note, I can console myself with one (or two) glasses of wine - it's Friday night afterall!



No comments:

Post a Comment