Monday, April 22, 2013

Tze Char Adventures : Fatt Choy Mui Seafood Restaurant

In view of certain "pending" events "(to be announced soon I hope), I've decided to go on an austerity drive for a bit. It's going to be tough, considering I've always spent freely, especially on wine and dining. Time to be creative. I still want good food AND enjoy good wine with it. 

The budget alternative - BYOB tze char places!
 
Yes, you can expect plenty of tze char food reviews from now on.


First up, a recently found gem just a stone's throw away (literally 5 min walk) from my place - Fatt Choy Mui Seafood Restaurant at Block 34 Cassia Crescent. I've probably walked past this place gazillion times, acknowledged that it always had a good crowd, but never tried it. All that changed last night, when B suggested dinner there with his folks. 

It's funny how it took me so long to discover this when it was right there under my nose all this time. 

B's parents aren't big eaters so we ordered (relatively) conservatively. The sambal kang kong was above average, with good wok hei and not too oily. The marmite pork ribs were amazing. Nicely charred and well-infused with marmite goodness. I gnawed at the bones most unelegantly. 

They were apparently good for their assam fish head too so we ordered one. I liked the consistency of the sauce and the freshness of the fish. Overall competently done but not something I'd order again. 

To feel healthier, we also ordered a 3 egg spinach dish that was pretty good. Best part of the meal was the bill - $52 for the 4 of us. I thought the price was rather decent. Will definitely be back to try some of the other tze char dishes other tables were ordering! 

No comments:

Post a Comment