Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Old Airport Road Delights Part I (Lor Mee & Rojak)

Lucky me. I live 5 mins' walk from one of our nations "best" hawker centre. Yes, I know "best" is very subjective but in this case, I think Old Airport Road Hawker is widely acknowledged as the mecca of many good foods.

Xin Mei Xiang Lor Mee brings back many childhood memories for my family and I. Even back when we were staying in Katong, my mum would bring me and my siblings to get our Lor Mee fix every other week. The nostalgia probably makes me partial to this stall, but undeniably their broth is rich and flavoursome, and they are generous with the hand shredded fried fish meat and melt-in-the-mouth ngoh hiang. Throw in a lor neng (egg), mix in lots of vinegar, minced garlic, sambal and red-cut chilli and I am one happy child (well, figuratively anyway).


As luck would have it, the Toa Payoh Rojak stall was also open the afternoon we were there. B's been dying to try it but it's always been closed by the time we get to the hawker center at night. There was a long line of people ahead of us but in true tam-chiak spirit we bit the bullet and took a queue number. 


It's unfortunate my rojak pic turned out so blurry but trust me - it was well worth the wait. The secret is in the heh gor (prawn paste) I think - it's home-made and more "penang" (fishier, but in a good way). They take pride in charcoal grilling the dough fritters and tau pok so it's very fragrant. We were really (and I do mean really) stuffed from the Lor Mee by the time our rojak was ready, but (surprise surprise) we still almost polished it off.

BURP. One satisfying weekday lunch away from the CBD. I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment