Thursday, June 6, 2013

Symmetry

Who doesn't love eggy brunches? Taking time out from the rough and tumble of everyday life and just vegetating out in front of a plate piled with carby (toasted brioche's the best) eggy (scrambled or poached, they have to be runny) goodness. And of course, a good cup of coffee. No better way to ease slowly into/out of the weekend - feel the knots loosen in your shoulders, just laze people watching. No next appointment to go to, and no errand to worry about. Pure bliss. I wish I can do it more often.

Symmetry is a new find which serves up some pretty yummy brunch grub. You have the usual brunch classics done right, but at the same time, I love the interesting twists they put to new dishes. Unfussed but trendy decor with distressed metal details and raw brick walls + great service from the (young teenager) waitstaff. Very cool.

I thought my choice of the Truffle Eggs Mushroom ($21) was an excellent one - check out my runny scrambled eggs and who doesn't love all things drizzled with truffle oil. I wish there was a larger serving of bread though - not enough to mop my plate clean! The strawberry jam was a nice touch. Pretty.

The crispy duck egg on a bed of watercress, pancetta and pearl barley ($19) was what I meant when I said they are innovative with their egg dishes. I loved the cheesy mess here, especially the crunchy bits of pork fat!


Another impressive dish was the Flan $23. Nope, not a dessert - excellent take at the savoury end - my only grouse was that I wanted a larger portion. The pork cheek confit was very tasty and tender and how does one not love perfectly poached eggs and sauteed mushrooms swimming in a pool of cream? Best way to inhale (yes inhale) this dish is to stir it all up, use a spoon to gobble and save the soggy flan pastry for last - t'was so good! 


A latte ($5.50) and gingerbread man cookie to end my very satisfying meal.


Verdict - I approve! Such a refreshing take, after my disastrous re-visit to Spathe for brunch last week. Yes that's another story to tell. For now, let's just make reservations for my next trip down to Symmetry. Will bring B along - he can try the bloody mary and I can indulge the cocktail craving I was trying so hard to resist this trip #mindovernectar 

No comments:

Post a Comment