Sunday, September 18, 2011

French Kitchen

I had originally suggested KW’s birthday dinner at the French Kitchen because I thought they allowed BYOB with no corkage charge on Mondays. Unfortunately, they had apparently discontinued that and only allowed a 1 for 1 – we buy a bottle from them and they waive corkage for 1 bottle which we bring. Bummer. Still, we had read consistently good reviews and decided to still check out the place.

That’s the thing about expectations. It’s best not to have them. We had all these high hopes to be wowed by the food but whilst it was an overall enjoyable meal, nothing really stood out.

I ordered the traditional set dinner menu at $78++ and the rest had the menu du jour ($68++) and Degustation menu ($88++).

We all liked the egg cocotte, it was perfect runny goodness, although I would have preferred a stronger truffle taste. The second course for me was the lobster bisque and that was good too, I wiped my plate clean. The rest had oysters and escargots, which they said were good.

The main was a major disappointment. My pork chop was not tasty at all – the pork was way too fatty and the sauce was not flavourful. I left most of it untouched. The wagyu beef and duck confit the others had fared better, but nobody was impressed with anything in particular.

I never thought I’d say this because I have a sweet tooth but the chocolate fondant dessert was wayyy too sweet.

Disappointed! The meal came up to $130 for each of us (we bought a bottle of champagne from them and paid corkage on 2 bottles @$40 each) which was pricey and didn't really justify the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment